Friday, April 4, 2008

Sweet Freedom?

Lexi has now mastered opening doors. In our apartment we had handles instead of knobs, and that she had down. But when we moved, the knobs proved too difficult for her, expecially since the doors were new and the knobs sort of stiff. Well, that's no longer a problem, she's got it figured out. Part of me loves that she has learned this new trick; I always felt guilty having her "locked" in her room, especially since sometimes she wakes up from her nap and just lays in bed silently for who knows how long until I happen to check in on her. I love that now she can come out and play when she is done sleeping. But the key word there is "done". Yesterday she concluded that now that she can open the door, staying in her room and falling asleep is optional. There was no nap yesterday, just a cranky mom, a self-satisfied toddler in the afternoon, and eventually a very tired toddler in the evening. This morning she woke up with a cough and a fever, so I was hoping she'd actually want a nap, like I do when I'm sick. So far no luck. At the moment I got her to stay in by giving her a relatively new book to keep her occupied. But I await the inevitable 'click' of the door latch as it releases, followed by the quiet scurry of happy little feet...

1 comments:

Mindy Sue O'Bryant said...

Smartie! Sounds like you need to get those door cover things. Afterall we should keep our children "caged".