Wednesday, November 19, 2008

My Trip to the ER!


Until yesterday, I'd never been treated in the ER before. That having changed, I have to say, the ER is not as cool and glamorous as on that show, you know, ER. There was no drama, not once did I see a nurse and a doctor making out in the lounge, and Noah Wyle was no where to be found. Just a little disappointing.

Tuesday morning I woke up at 2am to the sound of Seth crying. Once awake, I started feeling a little nausious, but figured it was nothing. By 4am, it was quite clear that it was not 'nothing'. I started throwing up every 2 minutes or so non-stop. A little after 7, Wayne's mom came to watch the kids and Lexie off to school, and Wayne took me to the hospital, since Instacare was not open. This part, I don't remember a whole lot of. A couple of things I do recall:
*They did not have a restroom in the ER waiting room. Huh? This just seemed odd. I had to throw up the second we got there, so Wayne lead me to the bathroom in the lab's waiting room, and I recall the looks on the faces of the people waiting there. Based on their reactions, I must have looked really bad. I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror, and I was pretty darn white.
*American Fork ER is not up and hopping on a Tuesday morning. There was no wait, and there was only one other patient being treated. I was completely out of it, so I didn't see anyone's faces, but it seemed from the voices that I heard that I had several nurses. Then again, I was pretty out of it, so it could have been the same person over and over...
*I wish they had warmer blankets. I was FREEZING the entire time, even with tow of their blankets on. I just couldn't stop shaking. Of course, that could have been because I was so sick.

So, basically I was just really really sick. My blood pressure was really low, and I was dehydrated. They gave me an IV with some anti-nausea medicine, two bags of saline, and morphine, which was awesome.

Thankfully I'm feeling a lot better today. It was a weird, crazy experience, and I'm glad it's over. Hopefully this will be my one and only experience with the ER. And hopefully this will be my last experience with the stomach flu for a long time.

5 comments:

Samantha Paul said...

Noah Wyle huh. Liz, I hate to break it to you, but Noah is SO 2005. It's all about John Stamos now! Check it out. http://www.nbc.com/ER/cast/john_stamos.shtml
lol!

Mindy Sue O'Bryant said...

I am so sorry that you were sick. It is great that Wayne's mom can help. Let me know if you need anything while Wayne is doing work stuff.

Sarah Hall said...

Oh... that sounds so awful. Glad you're feeling better. We got flu shots this year so hopefully it will pass us by.

Cheryl said...

Holy sad! I'm glad you are okay, though.

Korbie said...

hope you are feeling better